New BSA (Boy Scouts) Policy fits LDS Theology

On Monday, the Boy Scouts of America lifted the organization's ban on openly gay leaders while making clear that:

"religious chartered organizations may continue to use religious beliefs as criteria for selecting adult leaders, including matters of sexuality. This change allows Scouting's members and parents to select local units, chartered to organizations with similar beliefs, that best meet the needs of their families. This change also respects the right of religious chartered organizations to choose adult volunteers leaders whose beliefs are consistent with their own." (see http://scoutingnewsroom.org/boy-scouts-of-america-amends-adult-leadership-policy/)

Again, we see a major civil institution changing (changing=repentance) to better reflect one of the Latter-day Saint's central faith tenets:

"We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."

We should be supportive of civil organizations that seek to follow the counsel given by church leaders:

"We believe laws [rules] ought to be framed to achieve a balance in protecting freedoms of all people while respecting those with differing values" - Elder Oaks (January 27, 2015 news release)

"We are suggesting a way forward in which those with different views on these complex issues can together seek solutions that will be fair to everyone" - Elder Christoffersen (January 27, 2015 news release)

So again I ask: is there any solution more fair than our own 11th article of faith?

We should be actively seeking to support those who want to change and conform to our own standards. Furthermore, we should actively seek to ensure that we are not coercively spreading our beliefs regarding marriage and family because "Amen to the priesthood or authority of that man" who undertakes to "exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness" (Doctrine and Covenants 121:37).

To be clear, I fully believe that the image of the Most High God is a Male Human Being and a Female Human Being bound together by the New and Everlasting Covenant. I believe that men and women become as God when they enter that covenant, and I believe that their families are themselves Kingdoms of God.

However, I refuse to be a buffet Mormon who picks "and chooses only the most appealing offerings" (Elder Clayton, April 2013 General Conference).  Which means that I also have to accept the belief that I cannot force others to conform to that view, I have to persuade them (DC 121:37). It also means that I have to allow others worship according to the dictates of their own conscience as long as I am allowed to worship to the dictates of my own.

BSA is clearly following the example of Christ, and conforming to our own LDS Standards of belief.

I do not quite understand why the Church was not supportive of BSA repenting and conforming to our fundamental faith tenets, but I recognize that I am a man and I do not understand all things.

What I hope is that Church Leaders consider these points when they re-examine our "century-long association with scouting" in August. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is changing in a way that endorses sinful (assuming someone is living a gay lifestyle) behavior repentance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I'm curious what you think about the difference between this and the Church's push for prohibition in the early 1900s. Doesn't the Church have a long history of striving to align the world's policies and regulations with the eternal truths that we know will bring true happiness? I wouldn't say that I disagree with what you're saying, but I do feel like I need to better understand where the line is between "allowing others to worship as they please" (something I definitely agree with) and "facilitating sin" (something I definitely don't). It didn't seem to me like the BSA was ever limiting people from "worshiping as they please" any more than we do by limiting who can enter the temple. It's a matter of values and whether or not the individual's values align with those of the institution, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am an advocate of scouting but may we consider the legal actions that potentially may come against the Church if they continue on with the program. During my time being employed at Church headquarters I consistently saw them avoid situations that could reasonably be avoided. They consistently avoided situations that weren't essential to our salvation. Boy Scouts has been a valuable part of my life and though it may be supplemental it is definitely not essential for the growth of the Lord's kingdom on earth and, on a more personal note, my salvation. Unfortunately, there are small groups of people, and no one group specifically, that will attempt to take advantage of the Church through the recent changes of the scouting program. I believe if the Church does drop Boy Scouts it will be a preventative measure and not the Church sticking their noses up to the gay community. I believe we should love all and I believe the 11th article of faith. I know our leaders are wise and they'll counsel with the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment